Friday, November 11, 2005

an attempt

diversity of posts, right? well, i'm teaching free-verse poetry in the writer's workshop right now, so i thought i'd post one of my attempts. now, this does mean that i would be officially outed in my challenge to create a site that neither parents nor students can find, as i have shared this poem with my students, but the chances of that happening are slim to none, as i don't think i have a lot of viewers, and most people don't have time to sift through archives. am i really having this internal conversation with myself? must be the cold medicine... it's been a long week =)


#8 (no title yet)
(poem in process, not done)

It's October
and we're walking through Target.
Abbey needs a costume
so we wind to the back
and find wigs and teeth and eyeballs.
And that's what we want to see,
wigs and teeth and eyeballs.

But when I turn the corner,
I find that Christmas Central has crept in.

What would I want
with cards, plastic reindeer, and garland
in the middle of October?
We haven't even bought the Halloween candy yet!

This is a nightmare.
I don't want perpetual holiday celebrations
invading my life
or the collective consciousness of America.

But I'm too late.
I'm walking through Target in October,
and Christmas Central has already crept in.

-----------------------------------------------------------

So that's the attempt I'll put up for now. I'm working on revising some others. I'm not quite the Billy Collins or Ted Kooser or Mary Oliver that people may think englishy type teachers may be. No, not there yet. =)

I'm working on a different one about the weirdness of leaving your childhood holiday traditions and having to start your own as an adult. well, i guess we really mesh the old and the new together, but it has been an odd part of early adulthood, adjusting to the differences of what you are used to vs what you really need to do or will be doing in the future. i'm struggling with the end, though.

gotta go to the store to get some chest congestion medicine (walgreens? but i did have that one odd comment from someone i don't know about how walgreens really screwed with him as an employee... hmmm.) at any rate, i've been fending off something bad for several days and hoping i can hold off on being sick. don't know now though.

But it was saturday night

I guess that makes it all right
And u say what have I got 2 lose?

gawd, my memory is bad. before i set out on the 30 second journey to find those lyrics, i was sadly mistaken that it was "friday night" and that i was somehow clever...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i wish i could walk through target!
this poem makes me want to go and explore the wilderness of the american shopscape.

martin