Thursday, November 17, 2005

It's almost Friday... that's gotta count for something.

So it was another Wednesday night and another trip to W...gr..ns. I feel like I have to be a little sneaky now because of one reader who searched for said store name on a blog search engine so he could comment and plug his site, which is anti-W (not anti-THAT-W, although, good idea) because he had a bad work comp experience with the company. So while I feel for the man, I do have to admit that I visited the store again last night. I wasn't driving, and it was closest.... as if that makes a conscience any clearer.

But we did emerge, again, with an odd assortment of --------->
throat lozenges
Tylenol drinkable throat fixer-upper
.7 lead
one symapthy card
one Sodaku book, to try for the first time

I still maintain that that store has everything you don't need. It does appear, however, that we do need some of these odds and ends. My personal favorite juxtaposition... maybe the saline nasal spray, pencil top erasers, and motor oil. The lead and sympathy card is pretty good though, too.

Has anyone out there tried S***ku? My brain has trouble functioning that way, so it is interesting for me.(A critical thinking puzzle is one of my worst enemies!) I realized during the thick of graduate school courses that I can get to the answers/solutions to things, but it takes me longer than other people. I also realized that I am a slow reader... which was dissapointing to me for some reason as I have always been a really good student and perceived things to be easy. Not so, I learned. Maybe that's why I'm still talking about finishing my thesis rather than finishing it. No, that's just pure laziness and overworkedness. Procrastination. I can't lie about that one. I'll go to thesis hell... and that's a place that I don't want to be.

As we were driving on 494, we saw a billboard, and I don't quite know what to think about it. It was for Jack Link's beef jerky... "Banana chips can cause figure skating." I didn't get the same connotation Stephen did right away ("Forgive me, for I am a slow study." Can you tell me what play that is from?) So when he explained it as he saw it, I was really surprised that something that bold (and on the side I fundamentally don't agree with) would be up on a billboard.

Bret Ocholik, vice president of marketing, Jack Link’s Beef Jerky: “The heritage of Jack Link’s is steeped in the tradition of the Wisconsin north woods – we’re about being real and having fun."

Does that include buying into stereotypes of men and women and being homophobic, perchance? I DO know what I think about that. Meet my friend (past professor) Paul...

Carmichael Lynch did the ad campaign... The print ad is on their site under Our Stuff, Link Snacks, Inc. Hmmmm.

Then Stephen told me about this... "

Welcome to the visitors' locker room at Iowa's Kinnick Stadium, where pink is the color of choice to weaken and debilitate opposing football players...

There was controversy in Iowa City earlier this season when several professors at Iowa said the color demeans women and homosexuals.

The Wolverines said they don't care what color is used in locker rooms.

'You could paint the locker room pink, you could paint it red, you could paint it white ... a locker room is a locker room,' Michigan receiver Carl Tabb said."

Yeah right, Mr. Tabb. Steroids anyone? (For the record, I generally hate football and have never (and never will be) a Vikings fan.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am addicted to soduko. it was all over london. ive bought a few books and since returning to minut i've discovered they print a few in the mdn. woop woop. soduku rules. good luck.

Anonymous said...

There is a Walgreens at the end of my street. It cool, except for the fact that it's a ghetto version. I long for the Super America I lived next to in Uptown MPLS, and THE WEDGE!!!

I always try to finish other person's started Soduko. I'm damned fast, but can never finish about the last 4 boxes worth & totally jam it up. Thus, making coworkers steamed.

It's the little things like that which make all the difference in an enjoyable day.

MichelleMN said...

DDB: did you get my email? at cancan?
by the way, the word verification is kind of how my left eye sees, except it's a little less warped, and it looks like there are light valseline smears here and there. it's been annoying me lately.