Monday, December 19, 2005

The Blizzard

Phillis Levin

Now that the worst is over, they predict
Something messy and difficult, though not
Life-threatening. Clearly we needed

To stock up on water and candles, making
Tureens of soup and things that keep
When electricity fails and phone lines fall.

Igloos rise on air conditioners, gargoyles
Fly and icicles shatter. Frozen runways,
Lines in markets, and paralyzed avenues

Verify every fear. But there is warmth
In this sudden desire to sleep,
To surrender to our common condition

With joy, watching hours of news
Devoted to weather. People finally stop
To talk to each other - the neighbors

We didn't know were always here.
Today they are ready for business,
Armed with a new vocabulary,

Casting their saga in phrases as severe
As last night's snow: damage assessment,
Evacuation, emergency management.

The shift of the wind matters again,
And we are so simple, so happy to hear
The scrape of a shovel next door.

from Mercury, 2001
Penguin Books

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I took a half day today... shouldn't have gone in in the first place, but I didn't have any sub plans written up, and I hate leaving people in the lurch. Besides, I have planning time periods 1 and 2, and I was only giving a test 3 and 4. I think it's been the flu all weekend. Sore back and ribs and sides, stuffy head, chills, stuff like that. It's always weird being home mid-day on a work day. Lots goes on outside of all of our jobs, and it has always been kind of mysterious to me, kind of like when I would leave the school grounds during high school. There's really a world out there that operates between 8 and 3? Generally when I see people enjoying the luxury of walking their dogs or jogging when I'm on my way to work, I swear under my breath, and wonder why they aren't heading to work. Obviously, just because they are out doesn't mean they don't have a job, but I somehow always think that. And I know that teachers get time in the summer, but I just read something where someone wrote that there aren't many jobs that are more mentally and physically labor intensive-- we have to be ON all day, every day, dealing with what seems like everything, sometimes. Last summer, I didn't ever fully unwind from all of the stress, but those kids are one year older now, and I don't have to deal with them except for occasionally in the halls. Anyhow, I just get this eerie feeling when I am home during the day. I don't watch tv much, and I don't even listen to the radio during the week days, so it's this silent world which leaves lots to wonder about. Or sleep through if you feel like I do right now.

Well, Stephen and Abbey are home, so I'm off.... Have a good week =)

No comments: