Friday, June 10, 2005

"Think of it as stickin' it to the Man with a six-millimeter crochet hook."

I feel like I'm a lot less crafty than I was several years ago (ok... so it's been almost a decade/) Nonetheless, I asked my grandma to teach me to knit four or five Christmases ago. My MO? I didn't want the cool things she has done for us (mittens, afghans, quilts, LEFSE!) to get lost with our generation. I guess I wanted my kiddies to have cool snowflake mittens and plenty of lefse at the holiday meal. So I'm not a STELLAR knitter--IS that a scarf?--lefse is quite frustrating *but oh-so-worth-it* and the only quilt squares I have are the fronts cut off of all of my old punk rock tshirts (lots of those!)--but I still have aspirations to get better. And wouldntcha know it... today was my last technical day at work until August. (Reminder: working with adolescents winds up your blood pressure so much that, yes, this time is needed to unwind and come down to normalcy again.) So I've got some time on my hands. Until I get paid for curriculum planning in a few weeks, so I'm not completely off the hook. And I can't forget about the really hard grad class that starts next week... Wouldn't want you to think I'm a slacker!

Anyhoo-- since I DO have some extra time on my hands, I decided to go to the City Pages website to see if I could find anything cool for our family to do. I got hung up on Diablo Cody's blog for a few minutes and then came across this article.

It's not that I'm a trend setter, but it's weird how you find out that you have unwittingly been part of a greater group of like minded people. That everyone's doing it. UGH. After several reports on Frida Kahlo in college Spanish, I found out that people like Madonna liked her work and that it was the thing of the moment. That's more bad than good in my mind. Madge. Whatever.

And I'll tell ya. Stephen makes fun of me for some of my "great craft ideas." Not that he isn't right and that we have ended up with usless crap at random times. My beading stuff has been the most sustainable hobby, albeit put on the way-back burner until I get this grad school stuff done with.

And I am in a crafting circle with my sister, Lisa, and some other ladies... the Hot Mamacita Craftng Circle. Yeah, got shit about that, too =) Although I think the only time I've been able to make it was after the John Kerry rally last summer. Ran from the Metrodome to Augsburg as the lightrail was super crowded and, well, I was late.

Here's the link to the article. I must say, the references to pr and riot girl send me back some years. MC3 anyone?

4 comments:

MichelleMN said...

Sorry, anonymous riff raff! I didn't know that my blog was acting excludive. I'll see if I can get that taken care of. Not that I wanted to force you into an unnecessary blog... but I'm honored that you did =) I hope you and Tanuel are doing well. I really do miss both of you quite a bit...

MichelleMN said...

So David Eide... thanks for your tip-off. I changed it, so now I guess anyone can comment. Also thanks to you, I have faith that at least one human reads my blog. And I was wondering why noone was leaving book recommendations...

Anonymous said...

AAAAhhhh Haaaa!!!!
anonymously i will suggest a book for you..
'the perks of being a wallflower' is a great little cute sad maybe a little humorous book. Thanks to tony kulig for sending it to me. i just finished reading 'seabiscuit' which was a pretty good read.
'and the ass saw an angel' by nick cave has always been a favorite of mine.
take care
-david

kari said...

regarding your questions on tony's blog-- it was tom heddleston --the red haried chap in your grade. i was cast opposite him in "fiddler."
and the dark haried guy who hung out with james et al -- do you mean steve moberly (another real meaningful relationship on my part) or jeff heman (was from the base) -- jeff was a shorter bloke.