Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Is this common?

So I'm here... just me and my Naked Food-Juice. Food-juice? Superfood: Green Machine. I'm trying my hardest to stay healthy. The whooping cough is creeping around school, and frankly, it's not something I want. On the way to the store, I was listening to a fairly new radio station here in the Twin Cities, the Current. I favor the guy who runs his show in the evening. He plays lots of music that I really like. Sonic Youth and WIlco on the way home tonight. Not to mention Will Oldham. And he's also played Elliot Smith.

I feel empty when I think of Elliot Smith killing himself. I plainly love his music... have seen him several times in concert both here in Mpls and in Olympia. And I didn't even know about his death until maybe a half year later, which really makes me feel old and out of the loop. Margaret Cho has a poignant little essay on him and his life. And she asks, "What is heaven like Elliott Smith?" "Do you feel better?"


It makes me realize even more how I think about death every day and how I hope I'm set to outrun it until I'm good and old and ready. Truly, the ever-present thought that I could get hit by a car or run into something myself bothers me daily. Is this common? I don't think I let it get in the way of what I set out to do, but it does take a little of the sunshine away. It is this little worry-hope that everyone in my life will return home fine at the end of the day, continue on, set out again the next day. I know it's cliche, but I do wonder, really, what my future will be like, how long I'll live, what sicknesses I'll endure. Here's to good genes that have kept my Grandma Bert alert at 91... Love you, Grandma.

No comments: