Wednesday, February 09, 2005

umpday

Oh, oh...it's magic. It's that middle-of-the-week day. And that's good, because some of these weeks have felt excruciatingly long. I'm not feeling particularily witty tonight, for my second blog post and all. I feel a bit of pressure, like I should be writing something of great importance. I'm sure I'll get over that soon.

Last night I took Abbey to an advance screening of Because of Winn-Dixie. I was excited because it seems that I don't get to treat her too often with cool things. Not that I don't want to, but sometimes it's hard when 1) she's only with us four days of the week, 2) I'm not much of a movie-goer, and she loves movies, 3) with all sorts of family, she gets an abundance of cool things to tide her over. SO we left home around 5:30 for the Riverview Theater. Weren't sure that we'd get seats, but it wasn't a problem. Anna (Abbey's aunt/my sister-in-law) was there, too, and sat by us; we hunkered in for a good time. It was pretty cool to see Dave Matthews and even better to hear him play in a movie. The highlight of the night, however, was that at our very screening, Kate DiCamillo came out at the end to answer questions! Abbey gathered up her courage (she was nervous!) and asked the very final question: if you had one of the sadness lozenges, what would be your sadness? Kate's response (after the whole crowd gasped and murmured that it was a great question) was first, that no one had ever asked her that before. Her sadness, admittedly, would be not getting published. I was so proud of Abbey for the question... so thoughtful!

Overall, I had fun just knowing that it was something she wanted to see and I was able to take her to an early screening. I do have trouble with wanting to get up and do other things while a movie is on... or more truthfully, staying awake for them. Stephen and I have a hard time getting Abbey truly excited/ Usually we feel like quite boring parents, the ones who make her eat broccoli (she likes it!) and wheat bread (not so much, but no complaints), listen to the radio vs watching the tube, practice swimming, save her money and plan her spending. But we love her a ton and try to find little ways to make her smile. It's hard when I feel like we can never really "dazzle" her, but Stephen tells me to be patient... And I suppose as we make a little more cash (will we ever?) in the upcoming years, we'll be able to take her to plays, movies, museums, more often. But we can't forget to do those things now, too, I guess... Isn't the conventional wisdom that you will never feel like you have enough, so you better just enjoy life as it comes? Here's to more wisdom and more fun...

No comments: